Reports to: Communications Manager
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
The East African Wild Life Society (EAWLS) is a membership-based NGO that seeks to enhance the conservation and wise use of the environment and natural resources in East Africa for the benefit of current and future generations. We are seeking an energetic, innovative and visionary new team member who will assist in building upon our more than 60 years of experience and leadership in the conservation sector, by enhancing our impacting on environmental matters in target regions of East Africa.
Ensure that East African Wild Life Society communicates impact of its advocacy work as well as its conservation programmes and to assist in brand building and fundraising related duties.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Generate, edit, publish and share daily content (original text, images, video or HTML) on EAWLS social media within the brand guidelines, that builds meaningful connections and encourages the public to take action
- Monitor, review, and analyze engagements on EAWLS websites and also on external social media, such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Develop creative social media campaigns in line with EAWLS strategic plan
- Assists in the implementation of the EAWLS Communications Strategy
- Disseminates information in appropriate media, as appropriate for different target audiences, that clearly explain EAWLS’s role in conservation and advocacy as well as its relevance to the Kenyan/East African society
- Promotes and markets the EAWLS brand to improve its image and galvanize partnerships and membership
- Participate in the production of Swara to enhance advertising and subscriptions
- Develop, write and edit marketing and communications materials, including press releases, letters, speeches, posters and monthly reports
- Ensures the timely production of the EAWLS newsletter as well as other EAWLS publications
- Use Google Analytics, Google AdWords, and other relevant sites
- Coordinate with marketing / sales team to create marketing campaigns
- Working with the Communications Manager and Membership Officer prepare and optimize emails to send out to members and supporters
- Collates all EAWLS photos and videos into a multimedia library
- Maintains a media database of national, regional and international journalists with an interest in natural resource management
- Performs any other duties as requested by the supervisor
- University degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or other related fields
- Excellent grasp of digital marketing and social media platforms and proven work experience in the same
- Proven skill of photography, videography and video editing
- Excellent news/feature writing and editing skills
- Excellent media relations/management skills (writing press releases, press invites and organizing press visits will be an added advantage);
- Minimum of 2 years' relevant experience in a communications role
- Hands-on multi-media skills (desktop publishing, film, photography)
- Good knowledge of IT (is an added advantage)
- An understanding of and vocational interest in, environmental conservation, international development, NGO sector and other related fields would be preferred
- Excellent oral and written English and Kiswahili with knowledge of other local languages an asset.
- Excellent communication interpersonal, organisational, analytical and research skills
- Innovative, creative and willing to learn
- Passionate about biodiversity conservation
- Adherence to EAWLS’s values
- Candidates are requested to send a covering letter and Curriculum Vitae to: [email protected] with the subject PR & Communications Officer Job Application on or before 15th October 2021.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The East African Wild Life Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not charge for any application or recruitment.