Announcement Number: Nairobi-2021-080
Hiring Agency: Embassy Nairobi
Position Title: HVAC Controls Technician-All Interested Applicants
Open Period: 10/19/2021 - 11/03/2021
The U.S. Mission in Nairobi is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of HVAC Controls Technician in Facilities Maintenance.
The incumbent reports to the Building Engineer Supervisor. The incumbent is employed as a journeyman level Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Controls Technician to carry out skilled maintenance and repair work throughout the New Embassy Compound (NEC) on critical and non-critical electrical components within the functional/office buildings, on-compound ancillary support and residential buildings, above and below ground infrastructures, recreational facilities, and other owned/leased properties.
- Completion of Secondary School is required.
- Proof of Successful completion of specialized vocational training program from an accredited institute recognized as producing journeyman level HVAC mechanical technicians and mechanical system specialist trained in the maintenance of commercial or industrial buildings/facilities is required.
- English level III (Good working knowledge, Writing/Speaking/Reading) is required. (This maybe tested
- Kiswahili Level III (Good Working Knowledge, Writing/Speaking/Reading) is required.
- A minimum of three (3) years experience at the journey level in the installation, repair, and maintenance of commercial HVAC and/or other mechanical systems digital building controls with interfacing to the building automation systems.
- Work experience must show a progression of increased responsibility, and the ability to repair complex equipment, components, and systems.
- The incumbent must be able to read and interpret mechanical layout drawings, electrical drawings, riser diagrams, wiring schematics, various equipment schedules, operations and maintenance manuals, as-built drawings, and other construction documents.
- The incumbent shall have skills and abilities in the following areas: testing mechanical components and taking equipment readings with various meters, hand tools, power tools, and specialty tools to determine the root cause of a problem, and the appropriate repairs.
- Must be able to use tools of the trade in order to install, troubleshoot, and repair the components associated with the HVAC mechanical controls and their interface devices with the building automation systems.
- Additional skills include working with the building automation systems, emergency power sources including UPS’s and standby generator; distinguishing frequencies and sounds, color codes and odors in the operation of equipment in order to troubleshoot for repairs.
- Must have substantial skill in comprehending engineering reports, specifications and related materials in English.
- Additional abilities include responding to emergency situations in an efficient and timely manner to effect immediate repairs; work in various adverse conditions such as tight or enclosed spaces, working on ladders at various heights, and working in temperature extremes, indoors or outdoors, to complete work assignments; communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, contractors and vendors to obtain and provide pertinent information.
- Must be computer literate, able to use the Microsoft Office Suite software including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point; able to draft reports and create spreadsheets, and able to write e-mails and research information on the Internet.
- A valid driver’s license is required. Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks.
- Must be organized
The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applications must be submitted before 3rd November 2021 through the link//erajobs.state.gov/dos-era/vacancy/viewVacancyDetail.hms?_ref=tkvmwmd3pt0&returnToSearch=true&jnum=28055&orgId=25