Announcement Number: Nairobi-2021-079
Hiring Agency: Embassy Nairobi
Position Title: Electrical Controls Techncian - All Interrested Applicants
Open Period: 10/14/2021 - 10/27/2021
The U.S. Mission in Nairobi is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Electrical Controls Technician in Facilities Management.
The incumbent reports to the Supervisory Building Engineer. The incumbent is employed as a journeyman level Electrical Controls Technician to carry out skilled maintenance and repair work throughout the New Embassy Compound (NEC) on critical and non-critical electrical components within the functional/office buildings, on-compound ancillary support and residential buildings, above and below ground infrastructures, recreational facilities, and other owned/leased properties.
- Completion of secondary school is required and successful completion of specialized vocational training program from an accredited institute recognized as producing journeyman level electricians and mechanical system specialist trained in the maintenance of commercial or industrial buildings/facilities is required.
- A portion of the training must be in Electrical Controls and Automated Systems Technology.
- Level III proficiency in English (reading/speaking/writing) is required (This may be tested);
- Level III proficiency in Kiswahili (reading/speaking/writing) also required.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience working at the journey-level in the installation, repair, and maintenance of commercial building electrical systems including power generation and distribution systems, grounding, and digital building controls and automated systems.
- Work experience must show a progression of increased responsibility, and the ability to repair complex equipment, components, and systems.
- The three (3) years’ experience should include a minimum of two (2) years work experience operating and maintaining 3 phase electrical equipment with ampere ratings of 1600 Amps or higher.
- Must have a career path that demonstrates increased levels of responsibility working on complex equipment, control circuits, and building automation systems.
- The incumbent must be able to read and interpret electrical drawings, riser diagrams, wiring schematics, various equipment schedules, operations and maintenance manuals, and other construction documents.
- The incumbent shall have skills and abilities in the following areas: testing electrical components and taking equipment readings with various meters, hand tools, power tools, and specialty tools to determine the root cause of a problem, and the appropriate repairs.
- Must be able to use tools of the trade in order to install, troubleshoot, and repair building electrical controls, automated systems, and all associated components and devices.
- Additional skills include working with emergency standby generator systems; distinguishing frequencies and sounds, color codes and odors in the operation of equipment in order to troubleshoot for repairs.
- Must have substantial skill in comprehending engineering reports, specifications, and related materials in English.
- Additional abilities include responding to emergency situations in an efficient and timely manner to effect immediate repairs; work in various adverse conditions such as tight or enclosed spaces, working on ladders at various heights, and working in temperature extremes, indoors or outdoors, to complete work assignments; communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, contractors and vendors to obtain and provide pertinent information.
- Must be computer literate, able to use the Microsoft Office Suite software including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point; able to draft reports and create spreadsheets, and able to write e-mails and research information on the Internet.
- A valid driver’s license is required. Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks.
- Must be organized.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applications to be submitted throught the link before 27th October 2021 //erajobs.state.gov/dos-era/vacancy/viewVacancyDetail.hms?_ref=oxgvtxr3pt0&returnToSearch=true&jnum=28056&orgId=25