Reports to:Head Baker
- 1-year Fixed Term Contract (renewable on satisfactory performance)
- 6 month paid probationary period
Main Purpose & Scope the Job
The incumbent will be responsible for preparing cakes, breads, pastries and other general items made of flours of the highest quality in terms of freshness, taste, and consistency, with strict adherence to food and health guidelines and in accordance with Ankole Grill policies, procedures, and standards established to ensure maximum customer satisfaction.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards.
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of all restaurant equipment and ensure they are used only as intended.
- Understand, comply, and administer principals of law relating to food service establishments including but not limited to nutrition, sanitation, safety, employment law, fire, and health code regulations.
- Ensuring strict adherence to the recipes and appropriate processes while making the various products.
- Mixing and baking ingredients according to recipes.
- Check the quality of the ingredients and make sure the equipment is working properly
- Measuring and combining ingredients and using mixers, blenders, heat sources, and other equipment to make baked goods, such as cookies, bread, cakes, etc.
- Ensuring that all products are always baked on time for quick, efficient and quality service.
- Ensure that the highest hygiene standards are maintained in the work area.
- To ensure minimal wastage at the baking process and that all costs are strictly controlled.
- Ensure that the equipment and machines are maintained in a sound serviceable condition at all times and that no malfunctioning occurs due to negligence. This includes routine daily physical examination as necessary as well as liaising with the supervisor to ensure that they are serviced as scheduled when due.
- Have knowledge of the safety rules and cleaning procedures of equipment used to avoid damaging them or causing injuries.
- Operating the oven and ensuring that the baked products are of good quality.
- Inspect baked goods to ensure they are of the highest quality, and remove any damaged items.
- Decorating cakes and cupcakes as per client instructions.
- Diploma or certificate in food production with specialization in pastry, bread and cake baking and exotic desserts
- HACCP and hygiene training
- 3 years’ experience in the hospitality industry in a similar role preferably in a 4 star or 5 Star establishment.
- At least 2 years’ experience as a Baker in cake making and decoration.
- Practical baking skills
- Familiarity with all professional kitchen equipment, including mixers, blenders and dough sheeters
- Understanding of food safety practices
- Able to work under pressure and long hours
- Excellent personal hygiene and grooming habits.
- Customer service oriented with a lively, energetic, and outgoing personality.
- Well-organized and detail-oriented.
- Have a high degree of emotional intelligence and a high level of self-confidence.
- Be able to remain rational and calm under pressure.
- Be able to stand or walk for an extended period.
- Applications should be submitted by 18th January 2021
- Shortlisting shall be done be done on a roll in basis