How I transitioned from accounting to data science in Kenya
B
Britam HR
Apr 14, 2026 · 4:41 PM · 333 views
Many people have been asking how I made this transition, so here's my story.
Background: 4 years as an accountant at a medium-sized firm in Nairobi.
Problem: Felt underutilized, salaries plateaued, automation fear.
Step 1: Started with free resources — Kaggle, DataCamp free tier, YouTube
Step 2: Built 3 portfolio projects (analyzed M-Pesa transaction patterns, housing prices Nairobi, unemployment data)
Step 3: Got certified in Python for Data Science (6 months)
Step 4: Networked heavily on LinkedIn, joined Kenya Data Science community
Step 5: First DS role came from a LinkedIn connection — 40% salary increase!
Happy to answer questions!
3 Replies
B
Brian Otieno
5 months ago
Great post! I've had similar experiences. 8xoi05FpnCdHNe44e2t3z8YS4BlmWHpm7FhFSw1kcs3oCjVEg90kPjHTWAJvetzYXTZeG0JyDmJ3ZRU2Ddbj4AgJNSB6y1i5QCE5
L
Lydia Chebet
5 months ago
Great post! I've had similar experiences. 2aUDKxpb97uhkL59utpLTKMIyNIGhcALYv3aMW1lnmvCV9zJVdJjUjh3IRbqADQ7cusJrAwrrtQOorOZewuAJ3ef8xvNFvsUPd6d
C
Cooperative HR
5 months ago
Great post! I've had similar experiences. tYUc2RGaPQGeqcshd72CDV1xlxqSkDElKcNj05Wtvx98zHSwEZNtat79Z3gVdpQignY67iz1wSpp1YJYRjdBhj9tXHZcpg5Z1FrS